Assignment #5- The Shadow Box Project

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YlCRfAfODhqUnaj43

Identity are the traits make people who they are. Dominate narrative is a story, most of the time negative, told about a certain race by someone with privilege and power. Counter narrative is to go against the dominant narratives. It is important because people will believe dominate narratives forever if you don’t counter it.

First of all a dominant narrative is a negative story told by people with power. It has affected me because my race is a race with a lot of dominant narratives, all negative. One picture I have is a taco with a sombrero and a big mustache. That is a lot of narratives for Mexicans. Another one I have is a sign of Oakland with a gang member drawn over it. It shows that people think that Oakland is full of gangs. Another one is a guy with an American flag shirt and a rifle with a bunch of burgers. This shows how people think of Americans.

Third of all a counter narrative is a story telling the truth countering the negative counter narratives. One picture that I chose for counter narrative is the word “career” in big words. The reason I put this is because a lot of people that a latino from Oakland could not have a good career. Another picture I chose is some NFL players kneeling down during the national anthem. Lots of people think that all Americans are racist and everyone is a Trump supporter. This proves that not all Americans are bad racist people. Some of us are against our government.

To continue identity is how someone describes who they are. They are the traits that make people who they are. One picture that I put is a Mexican flag. That is the ethnicity that I identify with. I might bring in a tiny Mexican flag instead of a picture. I’m going to put the flag on one side of the box, and on the other I am going to put an American flag because that is my Nationality.